FS2000 Standard Review

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
Wollychop

FS2000 Standard Review

Post by Wollychop » 20 Aug 2008, 13:19

Modest attempt from Wolly to help rebuild!

Initial impression of the FS2000 on opening the box: why the HELL did they stick this thing in a cheap cardboard box??

Okay, let’s forget that for now. The FS2000 standard handles very well. It is far less ‘substantial’ in person (in pictures it looks really, really tall) and is very easy to manipulate. This bullpup was designed (apparently) with wearing gloves in mind, and there are no problems at all manipulating the safety or operating the weapon while wearing gloves.

The optic on the Standard is mounted on a low picatinny rail, covered by the pictured shroud. The shroud pops right off easily enough (you push a button towards the front, slide it forward, and presto!) revealing the entire assembly. It has a nifty, fairly fast reticle, and the light transmission is very good and the 1.6x magnified image is very crisp. No problems aquiring the target in evening light. With both eyes open, BAC isn’t a problem, as the shroud is actually very narrow. It sports a fixed, backup sight on top of the shroud along the lines of the PS90 USG irons.

The rifle is obviously designed to be fired off hand. Benching it is, for me, uncomfortable. But its balance and design allow for very easy shooting standing, kneeling, or laying in the prone. This is a battle rifle with a battle sight.

I won’t pretend that you will win precision matches with it, but I was able to hold sub 2” groups with the factory sight in the prone with most of the ammunition I used at 100 yards. You use a small tool that comes with the rifle to adjust the optic, turning knobs. A quarter turn on the knob = about 4 inches at 100 yards, so it’s an imprecise yet effective adjustment. There is “guestimation” involved in adjusting this optic just like the optic on the PS90. You can obviously adjust for less than a 4 inch move, but it’s about guessing the right ‘slight’ amount to move the adjustment mechanism. I believe MO would call this “minute of enemy” shooting.

Now, bang for the buck. I used HK mags for the first run. Lake City 5.56 62 grain ran trough the thing flawlessly, as did older surplus 55 grain 5.56. My own 62 grain reloads using a recipe of H Varget powder also ran without a hitch. The forward ejection system ROCKS. I had hangups (as I sort of expected) with my 55 grain sierra SP reloads. The soft lead noses on those things have caused problems in most of my autoloaders, and the same held true here. They just have a tendency to screw up. A mag of 40 grain V Max loads also worked without a failure.

So all in all I had three or four malfunctions, which were anticipated since I have experienced the same with my AR15s and Sig 556 using the same ammo. Based upon this limited run of about 120 rounds, I would have to say that I personally believe this rifle to be at LEAST as reliable as a top shelf AR15 and much, much more comfortable to shoot than the same AR15 with the stock collapsed, while being shorter still.

SINCE WRITING THE ORIGINAL REPORT:

I have used normal GI mags of various manufacture without serious problems. I have had several light strikes with older LC surplus 5.56 ammunition, however from the same batch I have had similar malfunctions in my bushmasters. I have not encountered the same fickle nature in terms of ammunition that others have reported; I am not saying it hasn't happened, I'm saying I haven't had any issues.

I can't speak to the STG556 vs FS2000 issue since I dont own an STG556, but I have been VERY happy with my purchase.

Worth it? Absolutely. Get one before you can’t. I would definitely shop around though, since in my local area even the tactical is sitting on the shelf with a $2,600 tag on it (I paid a total of about 2075 by the time I was driving home with it). Use gunbroker and enjoy your new toy, just like wolly!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: FS2000 Standard Review

Post by Rapier1772 » 20 Aug 2008, 14:38

Gotta add my 2 cents too.
I am very happy with mine also. I got the tactical version, no optics. The flip-up peep site was right on straight from the factory, no adjustment needed. But the apperature was so small that it made it hard to see the target in low light which gave me an excuse to buy optics (was going to upgrade from factory 1.6x optics anyway). Now use a Leupold Mk4 CQ/T - sweet.
I mostly use the D&H 30rnd mags, they work great. Also bought the Cammenga Easymags - they jam on last 3-4 rounds every time.
As for ammo, i've only been using the PMC .223 55gr FMJ so far. No problems with it either.
Only problem I've had is when switching mags. I need to insert new mag with bolt locked open otherwise it tends to get feed jams. Mag locks in & doesn't move even when bolt is cycled but still jams. If bolt is open when mag is inserted it doesn't jam - weird. I was Navy so I don't know if that is how military style rifles are supposed to work. :|
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

ehryk
custom title: Re-Uped, 15 NOV 08

Post by ehryk » 27 Aug 2008, 14:48

Hey Wolly, question: How thick is the plastic at the mag well? I will be getting me one when I get home from Iraq here. I have a boatload of Pmags I REALLY would like to use with it so I am seriously considering milling the plastic inside the mag well so they will fit. Yes, I know it will void the warrenty, but so will handloads. I know in the older stocks, you could remove the dust ring and Pmags would work, but they redesigned the magwell so thats not possible any more. I dont plan on buttstroking anyone, so the missing plastic shouldnt hurt me any. I would really rather not weaken my Pmags by removeing the ribs as I would like to possibly use them in something else. Oh, also, should that project go bad, how much is a new stock? lol

Thanks

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 27 Aug 2008, 15:26

Not sure about how cutting the stock might go... Replacing it? It is serialized, so I'm not sure how FN would handle that :ponder: Might shoot Bob Ailes an email?

What kind of cut are you thinking of?

ehryk
custom title: Re-Uped, 15 NOV 08

Post by ehryk » 28 Aug 2008, 01:01

basicly removing the taper up to the metal insert there, just enough to allow the ribs of the Pmag to go in. When I had read the description of the taper, I pictured it as being sharper than what it is. That pic helps a lot :)

The more I look at it, the more it appears that the stock is also the lower, eh? If thats the case, I would have to go through a shop to get it, which is fine if it comes to that.

I have a year left here, so it will be a while, but I will have one heheheheh

Thanks again.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 28 Aug 2008, 05:53

After having emailed Magpul about their P-Mags a while back, they mentioned that there might be some alignment issues if materials are removed from their magazines, and I asked if he thought the same would apply if you removed material from the rifle. He and I agreed that the material was most likely put there for a reason and I make the comment that my Dad always says... "Well, you can't cut some back on!" So I won't be modifying mine.

I'd say if you are dead set on using the P-Mags, I'd modify them first being they are a whopping $14 vs. the cost of a new rifle/parts.

Zhur

casio02478

Post by casio02478 » 15 Nov 2008, 17:21

Excellent write up! thank you. now I need to get one.