National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Discuss the politics behind the gun industry.
DmL5

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Post by DmL5 » 14 Sep 2011, 09:12

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Feder ... px?id=7072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hearing Scheduled for H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Friday, September 09, 2011

For months we have been reporting on a critically important bill: H.R. 822—the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. This vital NRA-backed legislation, introduced earlier this year by Congressmen Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) will enable millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states.

Thanks to much hard work and action taken by NRA and our members, H.R. 822 has now garnered 242 cosponsors in the U.S. House. On Tuesday, September 13, the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security will hold a hearing on the bill.

There is currently only one state (Illinois) that has no clear legal way for individuals to carry concealed firearms for self-defense. Forty states have permit systems that make it possible for any law-abiding person to obtain a permit, while most of the others have discretionary permit systems. (Vermont has never required a permit.)

H.R. 822 would make a major step forward for gun owners' rights by significantly expanding where those permits are recognized.

<snip>

DmL5

Re: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Post by DmL5 » 14 Sep 2011, 09:14

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09 ... latestnews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

By Shannon Bream
Published September 13, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Lawmakers are considering a House bill that would give Americans who hold permits to carry firearms in their home states the right to carry their weapons across state lines.

Although many states have entered into voluntary agreements, there is no nationwide framework for honoring permits and licenses uniformly. A bipartisan bill, co-authored by Reps. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., and Heath Shuler, D-N.C., aims to change that.

Supporters say the measure would not create a federal licensing system, but would require that all states recognize lawfully issued permits -- regardless of where they were issued. Gun rights advocacy groups say it's the only way to make sure that lawful gun owners' Second Amendment rights are guaranteed when they travel away from their home states.

<snip>

DmL5

Post by DmL5 » 28 Oct 2011, 09:36

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/18995 ... -defection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
House panel clears conceal-and-carry gun bill, with one Republican defection

The House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday approved a gun-rights bill that could be headed to the floor by the end of 2011.

The legislation, which would allow for conceal-and-carry weapon reciprocity across states lines, cleared the panel on a 19-11 vote.

All but one committee Republican, Rep. Dan Lungren (Calif.), supported the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, which is sponsored by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.); Democrats united in opposition to the bill. Lungren and other Republicans have raised concerns about the legislation’s effect on the rights of states.

<snip>

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 28 Oct 2011, 09:58

OH now all of a sudden they are worried about states rights.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 28 Oct 2011, 13:04

Obama would never sign such a bill, even if it passed the Senate too.

DmL5

Post by DmL5 » 29 Oct 2011, 07:04

NRA article with further information on the bill...

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Feder ... px?id=7147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The TRUTH About H.R. 822
The "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011"

<snip>

Some of the misinformation borders on ridiculous. One group circulated an email this week (Thursday, October 20) warning readers that, "H.R. 822 could be taken up for a vote as early as tomorrow morning." What the author failed to realize is that "tomorrow morning," (Friday, October 21) was a day the U.S. House was not even in session! Not very confidence-inspiring.

The same group claimed H.R. 822 would include anti-gun amendments that would, in turn, create "disastrous federally mandated infringements on our rights."

But, as we reported last week, the House Judiciary has already considered amendments to H.R. 822, and all anti-gun amendments offered that would weaken or gut the legislation were defeated.

The group even decries a "review" process that they claim will provide "a perfect opportunity for more changes." In reality, this review has nothing to do with adding anti-gun amendments. The amendment only requires a study of the law's effects, which would take place after the law takes effect.

For the record:

H.R. 822 is a GOOD bill and is GOOD for gun owners.

H.R. 822 ENHANCES Americans' right to self-defense by enabling millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states.

There is currently only one remaining state (Illinois) that has no clear legal way for individuals to carry concealed firearms for self-defense outside the home. H.R. 822 would require states to recognize each others' lawfully issued carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

H.R. 822 DOES NOT:

Create a federal licensing or registration system;
Establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit;
Involve the federal bureaucracy in setting standards for carry permit;
Destroy permitless carry systems such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming.

<snip>

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 16 Nov 2011, 20:39

Well it passed the House. Now to the Senate and Obama. They tried passing some amendments such as forcing states to maintain a database of concealed carry permit/license holders and making it available to all law enforcement 24/7.

panzermk2wife
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2wife » 16 Nov 2011, 20:53

Illinois need not apply :(

I am so sick of this state
Visit Us on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/EliteAmmunition5.7x28mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leave Us Feedback on the Forum
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DmL5

Post by DmL5 » 17 Nov 2011, 03:28

Hopefully it passes the Senate this time around (it got very close last time)...

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=47581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
National Concealed Carry Bill Passes House 272 to 154

Stearns-Shuler legislation would force states to recognize each other's permits.

by Neil W. McCabe
11/16/2011

A bill promising the most significant expansion of national gun rights since the current gun control regime began with the Handgun Control Act of 1968, passed the House 272 to 154 November 16 at 5:50 p.m. after two days of debate.

“The right to defend yourself and your loved ones from criminals is fundamental, and it should not be extinguished when you cross a state border,” said Rep. Clifford B. Stearns (R.-FL), who lead the fight with his co-sponsor Rep. J. Heath Shuler​ (D.-N.C.), a leader of the caucus of moderate Democrats known as the Blue Dogs.

“H.R. 822, the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act, recognizes this important fact by establishing the interstate recognition of concealed carry permits in much the same way driver’s licenses are recognized,” said Stearns.

<snip>

Now it is the Senate’s turn to act.

All eyes are Sen. John R. Thune (R.-S.D.). Thune attempted to gain Senate approval for reciprocity for national concealed carry in the last session of Congress with legislation very close to the language in the Broun bill. Ultimately, however, Thune fell two votes short of the 60 votes he needed to end a Democratic filibuster.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 17 Nov 2011, 07:32

Love to see all the idiots like Bill Maher that have been assailing the filibuster system and pushing for it to be abolished, to weigh in now on that very same issue.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Nov 2011, 17:46

So, how would this work with DC? Any reciprocity there?

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 18 Nov 2011, 18:08

My take...

The bill would basically enact reciprocity between all states that allow for concealed handgun carry already. States that do not allow concealed carry at all would not be affected. At present, I guess there are only two states that outright ban concealed carry (no provisions whatsoever for CCW licensing).

Do you think that states like NY, NJ, CA, etc would roll over if this bill was passed, or do you think their reaction would be "what the hell, we'll just ban all concealed carry then, and be exempt from this bill"?

I think an unintended consequence of this legislation might be that states who are already very restrictive will just go full throttle and completely eliminate the possibility of concealed carry.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 19 Nov 2011, 13:11

I don't think that is what will happen. I think it allows 50 state reciprocity. The states don't have 10 th amendment rights in this because this is protected by the second amendment and therefore defined as a federally protected right.

Besides, I think the trend nationwide is pro-carry. This is good legislation in my opinion. And WI just got CCW, so I think IL is all that is left.

57js

Post by 57js » 19 Nov 2011, 13:23

Wollychop wrote:My take...

The bill would basically enact reciprocity between all states that allow for concealed handgun carry already. States that do not allow concealed carry at all would not be affected. At present, I guess there are only two states that outright ban concealed carry (no provisions whatsoever for CCW licensing).

Do you think that states like NY, NJ, CA, etc would roll over if this bill was passed, or do you think their reaction would be "what the hell, we'll just ban all concealed carry then, and be exempt from this bill"?

I think an unintended consequence of this legislation might be that states who are already very restrictive will just go full throttle and completely eliminate the possibility of concealed carry.
Illinois and DC don't allow CCW at this point though Illinois comes close from time to time in changing. I don't see DC changing anytime soon.

I don't think NY would ban all CCW, but NYC will probably try to get a ban on all CCW in NYC as there are different rules in NYC than the rest of NYS. The only state I could really see banning CCW at this point would be CA because they have enough votes in the legislature and a governor who is willing to ban all CCW. NJ legislature may want to ban it, but I don't believe they have enough votes to override the governor's veto which he probably would do.

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 19 Nov 2011, 16:10

flyingirish04 wrote:I don't think that is what will happen. I think it allows 50 state reciprocity. The states don't have 10 th amendment rights in this because this is protected by the second amendment and therefore defined as a federally protected right.

Besides, I think the trend nationwide is pro-carry. This is good legislation in my opinion. And WI just got CCW, so I think IL is all that is left.
It does *not* allow 50 state carry. Read the text of the bill; the state being carried in must have provisions allowing for ccw permits and not ban concealed carry. You can download the .PDF here, the relevant section starts on page 4 line 21.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112h ... r822ih.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Keymaster
custom title: Keeper Of The Keys

Post by The Keymaster » 19 Nov 2011, 16:49

Ok, lets say by some miracle it passes the senate, and it goes to Obama's desk. Would he veto it in an election year?

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 19 Nov 2011, 17:06

He would, and that is fine because his butt would be definitely kicked out of office.

And Wolly, you are correct, but it says existing CCW licenses, so the states cannot just ban it in response. So basically, IL would be the only state you wouldn't have reciprocity for.

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 19 Nov 2011, 20:55

panzermk2wife wrote:Illinois need not apply :(

I am so sick of this state
:agree: :furious:

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 19 Nov 2011, 21:05

flyingirish04 wrote:He would, and that is fine because his butt would be definitely kicked out of office.

And Wolly, you are correct, but it says existing CCW licenses, so the states cannot just ban it in response. So basically, IL would be the only state you wouldn't have reciprocity for.
Gotcha, but keep in mind that this bill hasn't evn gone thru conference committee. A bill that would satisfy both the house and senate (of course not even taking into consideration a bill that the POTUS would sign) would probably be so riddled with escape clauses as to be nearly meaningless.

I'm not saying this is a bad bill... how do I say this? To me, the second amendment IS national ccw. It says to "keep and BEAR" arms, not "keep and stow in a locked safe". But unfortunately with a Harry Reid led senate, a BHO white house, and a sheepish electorate, I am perhaps too cynical about the chances of such legislation actually making it.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 20 Nov 2011, 12:44

I agree, and I help my pops right an op-ed to that effect yesterday. I hope it gets printed.