Spectre Supressor

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
FN-FAN

Spectre Supressor

Post by FN-FAN » 17 Sep 2008, 12:24

I was reading threw Nov. issue of Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, and in the back of the mag under new products, they have a new 5.7 can. Just thought I post this as it's news to me. :thumb: http://www.swrmfg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: Spectre Supressor

Post by f3rr37 » 17 Sep 2008, 12:32

Moved from FiveseveN handguns forum to NFA forum.

OnyxSkyDV

Post by OnyxSkyDV » 26 Sep 2008, 07:43

Since you are trying to restock on info, I thought I would repost this for you all.

I purchased a SWR Spectre for use on my PS90 SBR among other firearms.

I had the threaded barrel adapter for my CMMG barrel since I ordered the barrel and Gemtech Bi-lock flash hider, so all I needed to do was to remove that hider and put the 1/2x28tpi adapter on there.

In a wild bit of luck, I went to AutoZone to get a cheap 15mm and 19mm wrench that I could grind down to make thin enough for this operation, and as luck would have it, they were already thin enough to fit without any modification needed. (the brand is "Great Neck" and the model #'s are C15MC and C19MC) I have a normal M16 A2 flashhider that I put on the threaded adapter, and as much as I love the look of the FN style hider, this does not look bad at all. I prefer the shorter ones to the really long phantom style FH that some can's require. (at least on the PS90)

Once that was done the Spectre threaded right on, and it looks quite nice. The balance is really good, and it does not make the PS90 front heavy at all.

Once at the range I tried a few shots to note the sound and recoil, and then put on the Spectre. The difference was marked and very nice! The SS197 and SS195 ammo that I shot through it was obviously still supersonic, but the muzzle report was gone, and the predominate sound was the crack of the round going down range. My buddy felt that the already low recoil of the PS90 was reduced, and felt that the muzzle showed not only no desire to climb, but he felt that it wanted to dip a bit on him. I am not decided on recoil yet, and could only say that it was different, and possibly a hair sharper, but I really need to shoot it more to come to a firm decision on that.

I will say that the Spectre is a small can, and it heated up quite a bit when shooting the PS90, even at a fairly sedate pace. You really don't want to grab the can after about a magazine, and I would probably avoid firing magazine after magazine at a rapid rate, if for no other reason than to keep the finish on the can in good condition. LOL

All and all I loved the suppressor on the PS90, as did all 4 of my friends that joined me for shooting. I can't wait to get out in the wilderness and try it without hearing protection in (no way to take the ears off at an indoor range) so I can see how it is by itself. I think I have an order of Elite subsonic ammo about to be ordered.

Cheers all!

Onyx

P.S. the sight is a Aimpoint Micro T-1 in a GG&G mount. While it sits up a touch tall, it looks and shoots great! and with the quick release lever I was able to swap it between the PS90, the .22 upper for the AR, and the AR itself (which it is zero'd on) all day without issue.

I went to the range to do some testing to see if there was any noticeable change in point of impact between no flashhider, the A2 flashhider, and the Spectre.

I shot initially at 65ft, and after seeing the results I brought it in a bit closer (40') to get a bit tighter groups and get the results on one page.

The groups were 5 shots each and with the exception of the upper right group where I shot 4 rounds and then adjusted the sight to bring it into center, you can see that they all group about the same.

I was quite pleased to see no appreciable difference with and without the Spectre. Any separation in the groups are entirely though error on my part.

Cheers!

Onyx

Here is some video with and without the suppressor. The sonic crack is still very evident, but if you listen you can tell the muzzle report is gone.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 26 Sep 2008, 07:53

Great review thanks!
كاف