Morels

General discussion.
gotants

Re: Morels

Post by gotants » 01 May 2010, 10:55

flyingirish04 wrote:another reason why i hate fargo.
and south Florida.

The only mushrooms we have here are psilocybe cubensis :puke: :monkey:

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 01 May 2010, 15:01

Another good day.....it is on.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 02 May 2010, 18:01

Hunting the morels is like golf....or disc golf.....or any other sport that involves walking and talking with old buds and brief exertions followed by walk and talk....and a tumble in the briar....and a walk and talk....

Phil said [hi Irish, and] they have come close to figuring out the morel cycle.

The value of the morel season has always been the rare exclusive appearance for a wee bit that scientists cannot simulate....the morels resist domestication like a champ.

This is dated 2002....

http://www.morelfarms.com/discovery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On April 23, 2002, after taking thousands of photos, Stewart finally captured the detailed microscopic pictures that he was searching for, the hyphae of the morel fungus growing from a single spore and entering the root of an ash tree, see picture attached.

The actual discovery, in laymen’s terms, can be outlined in three parts as follows:

1. The morel fungus infects the roots of certain trees and plants.

2. During the course of his experiments Stewart Miller discovered that trees that have been inoculated with the morel fungus grow faster and are healthier than those that are not inoculated. So, the fungus helps the tree ingest nutrients and moisture from the soil thereby helping it grow, while the fungus enjoys living and expanding inside the tree roots while ingesting the sap. The second discovery is that there is a mutualistic or symbiotic relationship between the fungus and the tree.

3. The third discovery answers the question, “How and when does the fungus develop into a morel mushroom? Stewart Miller coined the term “symbiotic disruption” to explain this event. A dying or dead tree stimulates the fungus inside it, causing it to withdraw from the roots, thereby forming hardened nodules below the ground called “sclerotia”. These sclerotia eventually swell in size with sufficient water and warmth and the morel mushroom eventually pops up through the ground in the spring. When an inoculated tree is healthy the fungus does not want to leave its happy home. Its not until the fungus experiences symbiotic disruption from its' happy home that causes it to withdraw from the roots of the dying tree or plant.
Recently dead trees=morels.

Well hell, we knew that already didn't we?

*edit, murdering trees is OK. As long as it's to draw out the morels.

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 03 May 2010, 19:31

Oh yeah, lookin good! Those were some nice ones.
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 03 May 2010, 20:32

Cannon Falls?? My Sister lives there

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 30 Apr 2011, 20:01

They are starting to find them in southern Iowa now. I went out yesterday for about an hour. Had a nice walk in the woods , but no mushrooms.
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 01 May 2011, 02:58

LK45s wrote:They are starting to find them in southern Iowa now. I went out yesterday for about an hour. Had a nice walk in the woods , but no mushrooms.

Good to see ya LK.

We're getting plenty of moisture this year it just needs to warm up a bit. I've done some poking around but no sightings yet.

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 01 May 2011, 08:02

I've been hanging around, just don't post much. It's plenty moist around here too, but the constant wind is taking care of that. Last year the season was so late that they were hidden by the undergrowth.

Some from last year.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thomas Jefferson

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 01 May 2011, 08:04

Yum! Great haul.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 12 May 2011, 16:56

In the yard.

I've been checking this spot daily because I found some there last year...that doesn't always mean anything but it did this year.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 12 May 2011, 17:23

Holy crap, I think this thread is the oldest running thread on the forum.

So, what do these buggers taste like? Never had one.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 12 May 2011, 17:39

Food of the Gods. :thumb:

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 12 May 2011, 20:34

I went out last Friday and only found some fresh shelf mushrooms. We had some rain and warmer temps recently so I'm going to try again tomorrow. The undergrowth is getting taller and will make them harder to find. I know last year they were still being found about this time, the one by the Pepsi can was found 5/15.

Thomas Jefferson

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 12 May 2011, 21:35

f3rr37 wrote:Holy crap, I think this thread is the oldest running thread on the forum.

So, what do these buggers taste like? Never had one.
Godzilla opossum is a couple of months older :laugh: But this is more active. If I hadn't found that opossum story & resurrected the thread then this would be the winner. Give it a week or two, opossum thread will die again & this will reign :D
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 13 May 2011, 00:08

Hey Jim, I plan on being in your parts May 26th. Should I bring the rifles and ammo that you haven't shot yet, maybe we can wrestle up some morels. Just a thought. ;)
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 13 May 2011, 01:43

:thumb: Give me a call when you're in the neighborhood.

Edit: Better call ahead, I just got some coffee in me and realized that is Memorial Day Weekend. I have some as-yet unscheduled responsibilities with the RWF Cemetery Assn. Probably the 27th or 28th but not sure yet.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 15 May 2011, 06:54

Ever the optimist, I took a shopping basket with me for a walk in the woods this morning.

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 15 May 2011, 07:11

Oh yeah, you're gonna have some good eating. All I've gotten so far is poison ivy.

Thomas Jefferson

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 22 Mar 2012, 03:56

They're coming.

Breakthroughs in discovering the lifecycle and how to encourage propagation are still happening too.
This is kinda big news if it works.

http://www.thefarm.org/mushroom/morel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.morelfarms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to try farming some stump mushrooms too....

http://www.fungi.com/plugs/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got plenty of stumps around the yard. I'd rather use them than try to remove them. :laugh:

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 22 Mar 2012, 19:34

It's been raining here all week and supposed to be 80 this weekend. I think it will be an early season this year. I can almost smell them now. :D

P.S. You beat me to it LLagoud, I was going to dredge this up the other day but didn't.

Thomas Jefferson