Obama and gun control

Discuss the politics behind the gun industry.
Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Obama and gun control

Post by Sniperjoe » 11 Oct 2008, 08:53

Now we ALL know obama is insanely anti gun but do you all think that he will try and propose any anti gun leguislation god forbid he makes it to president :( .

I mean i dont know :?: , considering the mess with the economy it would look pritty stupid for him to try to push gun leguislation while he SUPPOSED to be focusing on the economy

Also, we all know the guys only out their for votes and will basicly say anything to get them. Now with all the pro gunners in this country, as well as what happend to the dem congress after the 94 AWB, do you think he may actually use his head and NOT propose any new gun leguislation?

Also, from my understanding the president doesnt realy have THAT much power so i mean even if he did try anything, would it realy make that much of an impact?

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: Obama and gun control

Post by Cyberfly » 11 Oct 2008, 10:36

A president doesn't have that much power, but a Liberal president with a Liberal Congress behind him can do a LOT of damage.
Any bill that Congress sends to his desk he can sign and make our lives a living hell with a simple stroke of a pen.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 11 Oct 2008, 12:11

There IS a significant amount of power in the office if you consider the ability to sign executive orders and the fact that governmental agencies such as the DEA, BATFE, etc, all fall under the executive branch.

But of course the funding for such agencies comes from the congress. But like Fly said, if you have a likeminded congress and executive, its a pretty bad mix in this circumstance. I think at a minimum we will see a revival of something akin to the clinton gun ban or HR 1022.

moparmaniac69
Gold Member

Post by moparmaniac69 » 13 Oct 2008, 19:23

Cyberfly wrote:A president doesn't have that much power, but a Liberal president with a Liberal Congress behind him can do a LOT of damage.
Any bill that Congress sends to his desk he can sign and make our lives a living hell with a simple stroke of a pen.
+1
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 13 Oct 2008, 20:22

having Obama in the white house could embolden the libs in congress enough to introduce such legislation...

t1210

Post by t1210 » 13 Oct 2008, 21:19

With a filabuster proof majority, and a president they know won't veto, all they would have to do is add it as a rider to a bill. By the time we found out about it, it would be signed and law.

Sven

Post by Sven » 14 Oct 2008, 21:09

Grantness wrote:having Obama in the white house could embolden the libs in congress enough to introduce such legislation...
We are in real trouble if the Democrats have a filibuster-proof majority (at least 60 Democratic Senators). They will be able to do whatever they want and the Republicans will not be able to do a single thing to stop them. I mean that literally. Republicans will have zero power. A ban on "assault rifles"? Count on it (and worse). It's going to be awful. Obama is going to win (barring some amazing miracle) and there's a very good chance, although it's far from certain, that the Democrats will get the magic 60 Senate votes. If that happens, it's lights out.

I don't think that the American people have any idea about what Obama and Congressional Democrats have planned for us.

I fear for this country.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 15 Oct 2008, 08:05

Hey...ASSAULT weapon ban. The PS90 is a PDW. A personal defense weapon, not an assault weapon. So all the boys at BARFcom will be screaming and crying, but we get to keep our PS90s! hehehe
Sorry, bad pun, I know, but...I wonder if Nazi Pelosi would find it funny? :skep:

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 15 Oct 2008, 08:48

Cyberfly wrote:Hey...ASSAULT weapon ban. The PS90 is a PDW. A personal defense weapon, not an assault weapon. So all the boys at BARFcom will be screaming and crying, but we get to keep our PS90s! hehehe
Sorry, bad pun, I know, but...I wonder if Nazi Pelosi would find it funny? :skep:
Unless they redefine what an "assault" weapon is. Heck, they could say it is "a thing that goes up" on the shoulder.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 15 Oct 2008, 09:20

Historical note: Draft versions of the NFA of '34 includied a definition of "machine guns" that encompassed semi-automatic weapons with magazine capacities greater than ten rounds.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 15 Oct 2008, 13:28

Oh, now that just totally sucks.
Next thing you know, they'll be calling anything that can propel a projectile faster than 65 miles an hour an assault weapon. Baseball teams will have to register their pitchers and get NFA licenses to take them out of state for games. :furious:
I hate liberals... :guns:

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 15 Oct 2008, 13:42

Sven wrote: We are in real trouble if the Democrats have a filibuster-proof majority (at least 60 Democratic Senators).
One projection along those lines: http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/S ... t15-s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sven wrote:...
I fear for this country.
Amen. Some of us have for quite a while.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 15 Oct 2008, 13:46

I would love to see Oregon switch to Republican /prays

moparmaniac69
Gold Member

Post by moparmaniac69 » 15 Oct 2008, 16:57

I'm doing my best to push Colorado red...getting everyone I know out to the polls...I will try to get my gun totin democrat friend to stay home since he has been sipping the cool-aid for years. wish me luck.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

hammerhands32
custom title: Proverbs 10:19

Post by hammerhands32 » 15 Oct 2008, 17:46

f3rr37 wrote:I would love to see Oregon switch to Republican /prays
Yeah right, to many Kalifornians up there

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 15 Oct 2008, 17:57

hammerhands32 wrote:
f3rr37 wrote:I would love to see Oregon switch to Republican /prays
Yeah right, to many Kalifornians up there
The only reason this state is majority Democrat is because of Eugene and Portland.

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 16 Oct 2008, 05:57

The only reason IL is blue is Chicago. Seriously, you should see a county by county map.

OK, here is the county by county map for 2004:

You can clearly see Cook County, where Chicago is. Also, the other 2 big University towns in Champaign County and Peoria County.

Cook County went 70.2% (1,439,724 votes) for Kerry and 29.1% (597,405 votes) for Bush.

If we could cut Cook County out of the rest of Illinois. Bush would have had 54.64% (1,749,203 votes) and Kerry would have had 45.36% (1,452,265 votes).

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 16 Oct 2008, 06:14

Where'd ya get that state breakdown? Pretty nifty.

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 16 Oct 2008, 16:06

Wikipedia

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 16 Oct 2008, 20:20

We need a national announcement. All people voting for McCain need to come out and vote on TUESDAY. All people voting for Obama need to come out the following THURSDAY!
That way we can avoid any violence and chances of miscounting. :lmao:

iCeMaN

Post by iCeMaN » 16 Oct 2008, 21:03

We are screwed sooo bad....

EARS

Post by EARS » 17 Oct 2008, 04:06

With no vasoline!

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 18 Oct 2008, 20:34

EARS

Post by EARS » 19 Oct 2008, 10:25

Now I see that Powell has endorsed BO over McCain. That will carry alot of votes BO's way.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 19 Oct 2008, 15:29

i dont understand that decision. He's out there bashing McCain from running a dirty campaign...as if Obama hasnt lied his ass off at every opportunity.

Im pissed. I used to have some respect for that guy. :furious:

Lets remember people...this race aint over! The media would love for you to believe that...but they are dead WRONG. Obama's numbers are inflated and McCain's underestimated. Obama's base is notorious for not turning out to vote. You can expect a significant percentage of Obama's supporters not to show up. Lets just hope the media strategy backfires and makes all those mindless morons complacent.

8000fthi

Post by 8000fthi » 19 Oct 2008, 18:09

EARS wrote:Now I see that Powell has endorsed BO over McCain. That will carry alot of votes BO's way.
YES,it is looking more like BO with his cabinet of Powell,Opra,Wright,Aires,Sharpton,etc. We may not be able to buy more guns and ammo but they will pay hell taking what we have.

tdevince

Post by tdevince » 23 Oct 2008, 19:05

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 23 Oct 2008, 21:30

Awesome

Doc LC

Post by Doc LC » 26 Oct 2008, 16:41

I think the Heller decision (I believe Scalia specifically mentioned AR-15s as "common arms for self defense"), the "No Ex Post Facto" clause (regarding "grandfathered" firearms/mags), and a general shift in public attitudes towards self-defense in recent years is going to make it difficult for any "total AWB" to withstand the scrutiny of the federal courts. Import bans by executive order are another matter, however. The sky isn't going to fall tomorrow, but we all must remain politically active. Hopefully, the Dems remember the "house cleaning" after the '94 AWB, and exercise some common sense this time around. Then again, I must remind myself that "common-sense" and "Democrat" are mutually exclusive terms.

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 26 Oct 2008, 17:04

I remember the DC handgun case. Only one judge tipped the scales on that call. a call that is too close for comfort.

I think the federal laws are awesome, esp. since bush didn't renew the aw ban. It would be a safe and smart guess to say that the laws can only get stricter over the next decade or so.

I am still rememberign the days when a preban hi cap cost freaking 70 bucks or more.

Stock up what you can now. Buy what would be a likely "AW" in the eyes of the ignorant and you might have a nice collection that pays dividends later on.

Doc LC

Post by Doc LC » 26 Oct 2008, 17:10

If for no other reason, it's a good excuse to buy lots of cool new toys. "Don't worry, honey. After the election, I won't be able to buy anymore, and the ones I have will be worth 100 times as much." :D

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 30 Oct 2008, 10:27

Letter from Richard A. Pearson ,Executive Director, Illinois State Rifle Association
October 10, 2008

Fellow Sportsman,
Hello, my name is Rich Pearson and I have been active in the firearm rights movement for over 40 years. For
the past 15 years, I have served in the Illinois state capitol as the chief lobbyist for the Illinois State Rifle
Association.I lobbied Barack Obama extensively while he was an Illinois State Senator. As a result of that experience, I know Obama's attitudes toward guns and gun owners better than anyone. The truth be told, in all my years in the Capitol I have never met a legislator who harbors more contempt for the law-abiding firearm owner than Barack Obama.Although Obama claims to be an advocate for the 2nd Amendment, his voting record in the Illinois Senate paints
a very different picture. While a state senator, Obama voted for a bill that would ban nearly every hunting rifle,shotgun and target rifle owned by Illinois citizens. That same bill would authorize the state police to raid homesof gun owners and forcibly confiscate banned guns. Obama supported a bill that would shut down law-abiding
firearm manufacturers including Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River Arms and Les Baer. Obama also voted for a bill that would prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one gun per month.Without a doubt, Barack Obama has proven himself to be an enemy of the law abiding firearm owner. At the same time, Obama has proven himself to be a friend to the hardened criminal. While a state senator, Obama voted 4 times against legislation that would allow a homeowner to use a firearm in defense of home and family.Does Barack Obama still sound to you like a "friend" of the law-abiding gun owner?
And speaking of friends, you can always tell a person by the company they keep. Obama counts among his friends the Rev. Michael Pfleger - a renegade Chicago priest who has openly called for the murder of gun shop owners and pro-gun legislators. Then there is his buddy Richard Daley, the mayor of Chicago who has declared that if it were up to him, nobody would be allowed to own a gun. And let's not forget Obama's pal George Soros - the guy who has pumped millions of dollars into the UN's international effort to disarm law-abiding citizens.
Obama has shown that he is more than willing to use other people's money to fund his campaign to take yourguns away from you. While a board member of the leftist Joyce Foundation, Barack Obama wrote checks for tens of millions of dollars to extremist gun control organizations such as the Illinois Council Against Handgun
Violence and the Violence Policy Center. Does Barack Obama still sound to you like a "friend" of the law-abiding gun owner?
By now, I'm sure that many of you have received mailings from an organization called "American Hunters and Shooters Association(AHSA)" talking about what a swell fellow Obama is and how he honors the 2nd
Amendment and how you will never have to worry about Obama coming to take your guns. Let me make it perfectly clear - everything the AHSA says about Obama is pure hogwash. The AHSA is headed by a group
of left-wing elitists who subscribe to the British view of hunting and shooting. That is, a state of affairs where hunting and shooting are reserved for the wealthy upper-crust who can afford guided hunts on exclusive private reserves. The AHSA is not your friend, never will be. In closing, I'd like to remind you that I'm a guy who has actually gone nose to nose with Obama on gun rights issues. The Obama I know cannot even begin to identify with this nation's outdoor traditions. The Obama I know sees you, the law abiding gun owner, as nothing but a low-class lummox who is easily swayed by the flash of a smile and a ration of rosy rhetoric. The Obama I know is a stony-faced liar who has honed his skill at getting what he wants - so long as people are willing to give it to him.That's the Barack Obama I know.
Sincerely,
(original signed)
Richard A. Pearson
Executive Director
Illinois State Rifle Association

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 30 Oct 2008, 12:23

With a letter like that, I think someone doesn't really like Obama... Oh wait, that's pretty much everyone here :p Wish I'd wrote it. Thanks Vitaliy, are they sending that out to general public or just certain people?
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 30 Oct 2008, 12:50

I got that in my email through the NRA ILA. They have a copy on their website as well.

ehryk
custom title: Re-Uped, 15 NOV 08

Post by ehryk » 31 Oct 2008, 06:08

and here is a US map for 2004