Experience Level for 5.7 Reloading

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

kf4zht

Experience Level for 5.7 Reloading

Post by kf4zht » 25 Feb 2015, 15:17

Have my first FsN waiting for me at the gun shop. Hopefully this epic 1" deep blizzard ends and I can get up there. I am interested in reloading for this gun, mostly for load customization and I think that reloading is relaxing.

I have heard from several sources that it is a tricky cartridge to reload for. Looking for some opinions on if I am ready or if I should wait till I have a little more under my belt

History/Experience
- Single stage loading pistol - several thousand rounds
- Single stage loading 223 - around a hundred
- Currently run 2 Lee Pro 1000s in 9 and 45. Have them running very stable (I consider this a feat in itself)
- Already use ultrasonic cleaning for some cases and general gun cleaning
- Familiar and use mic and calipers

Where I see some lacking
- Limited bottleneck experience
- Waiting on my first chrono to ship, in the past have only used book loads
- Typically have used a powder thrower, but I can use a scale and tickler

Since this seems to be a very knowledgeable forum should I try? If not what do I need to practice with?

shopsmart
Silver Member

Re: Experience Level for 5.7 Reloading

Post by shopsmart » 25 Feb 2015, 18:18

It is tricky... but more likely tedious. I learned reloading on it. I spent many months reading this forum and starting at low levels. I have only just been starting to push for mid-high velocities and I have been at it for 3-4 years I think.

Know the powder errors and what it does. +1/-1 grain differences at the high end spectrum can be a popped primer or a blown up gun/hand. Have fun.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 25 Feb 2015, 18:29

shopsmart wrote:It is tricky... but more likely tedious. I learned reloading on it. I spent many months reading this forum and starting at low levels. I have only just been starting to push for mid-high velocities and I have been at it for 3-4 years I think.

Know the powder errors and what it does. +1/-1 grain differences at the high end spectrum can be a popped primer or a blown up gun/hand. Have fun.
Correction- if you are pushing max, +/- .1 (one tenth) gr can be the determining factor with this round.

Based on what you have listed as your history, I don't foresee a problem provided you pay attention.
Make sure your scale is accurate with these low weights, I had to buy an electronic one.
Published books tend to have a safety factor built into their posted maximums, not so with online sources. If you use another person's load data, start AT LEAST .5gr below their posted max & work up.
If you are working near maximums, check your ejected shells for signs of overpressure.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 25 Feb 2015, 20:59

Rapier1772 wrote:
shopsmart wrote:It is tricky... but more likely tedious. I learned reloading on it. I spent many months reading this forum and starting at low levels. I have only just been starting to push for mid-high velocities and I have been at it for 3-4 years I think.

Correction- if you are pushing max, +/- .1 (one tenth) gr can be the determining factor with this round.

Based on what you have listed as your history, I don't foresee a problem provided you pay attention.
Make sure your scale is accurate with these low weights, I had to buy an electronic one.
Published books tend to have a safety factor built into their posted maximums, not so with online sources. If you use another person's load data, start AT LEAST .5gr below their posted max & work up.
If you are working near maximums, check your ejected shells for signs of overpressure.
+1 :thumb:
But I will also add scale every time, never use a powder drop.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Post by bruteandbear1 » 26 Feb 2015, 06:39

Welcome to the forum! I would advise using a beam scale and not a digital scale to start out with. This round when first starting out has to be single stage loaded!! I would highly advise sticking to one powder for starting out (I stuck with blue dot for a first powder with good results, it is more forgiving than others) and document, document, document what bullet grain you are using, the number of grains of powder, what primer (I use cci 400), OAL, etc. The biggest mistake you could make is getting lazy with this cartridge, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DOUBLE CHECK ALL STEPS!!

As long as you follow the correct steps you will be just fine plus shooting your first loads are pretty exciting as well, Have fun!!

kf4zht

Post by kf4zht » 26 Feb 2015, 06:54

bruteandbear1 wrote:Welcome to the forum! I would advise using a beam scale and not a digital scale to start out with. This round when first starting out has to be single stage loaded!! I would highly advise sticking to one powder for starting out (I stuck with blue dot for a first powder with good results, it is more forgiving than others) and document, document, document what bullet grain you are using, the number of grains of powder, what primer (I use cci 400), OAL, etc. The biggest mistake you could make is getting lazy with this cartridge, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DOUBLE CHECK ALL STEPS!!

As long as you follow the correct steps you will be just fine plus shooting your first loads are pretty exciting as well, Have fun!!
I've been using a digital scale for a while but thinking about getting a balance beam. Biggest issue I have found is waiting for changes to be read. Also though about getting an RCBS chargemaster or Hornady Lock and Load automatic. Seen really good reviews on both.

I plan on staying single stage for this one. Pro 1000s are great for the money but they already require a decent amount of care and feeding for normal rounds. I also need to find some powder. Right now I have been using Titewad and Solo 1000 mostly since I found a semi-reliable source here. Even a pound should last me decently if all I use it for is 5.7

Just got an email that my chrono was shipped!

Is there a recommended bullet to start with? I see the varmint grenades and the barnes tsx mentioned frequently.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 26 Feb 2015, 07:25

I have 2 balance beam scales, neither would reliably work for measuring 5 grains of powder. I switched to an electronic scale & no problems since.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 26 Feb 2015, 08:23

Whatever type scale you choose, scale test weights are essential IMHO.
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

Gruonder100

Post by Gruonder100 » 15 Jan 2020, 21:15

I suggest a Sheridan engineering cutaway 5.7x 28 case gauge To see any errors in sizing, the top half of the gauge is machined Off so you can see how the bullet goes into the chamber. My big problem was I would push up the case
Too far causing a bulge at the shoulder. Listen to theses guys ,they know there stuff.

doctorscriv

Post by doctorscriv » 12 Aug 2020, 16:35

The Sheridan cutaway is an excellent tool. I'd say if you want to load 5.7, it is a must. I had issues with forming the shoulder, and inside the Sheridan gauge, they became very apparent. As other folks noted, 5.7 is sensitive in many aspects.

Gunpoor

Post by Gunpoor » 14 Aug 2020, 16:56

Its def not for beginners. Your moving a lot of brass when sizing. Shoulder blows forward somewhere between .030 and .050.... Also "virgin once fired" brass "grows" about..010 and must b trimmed. Cant tumble the brass. I use the Hornady Lock n Load electronic scale backed up by a 505 beam. Watch all measurements very closely as well as powder throw. Min to Max is typically 1/2 a grain.... Go slowly working up the loads!!!! If u use a chrono youll see velocity top out close to the MAX load. At that point its time to stop!!!! Going that extra .10 grain is when the PROBLEMS start!!!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Aug 2020, 13:25

Honestly I have had more issues with old timers who have been loading for years. They never want to listen to anyone, have decided what HAS to be done to the case even when I tell them it will ruin the case.

I would take a brand new handloader everytime. Blank slate and no bad habits to overcome.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz